Recently we used pdfcrowd to print pdfs from several of our applications running on the Google App Engine.
Integration is very straight forward – we use the web2py python framework to run on top of GAE – so these steps reflect that. Also in our example we want our python function to return the content as a pdf file.
- Register at pdfcrowd
- Download their python client library
- Copy the source of the client library to the module directory of your web2py application directory
- Use the code snippet example below to initialize and call the pdfcrowd library
out = StringIO.StringIO()
pdfcrowd = local_import('pdfcrowd')
client = pdfcrowd.Client("username", "apikey")
# our html to convert
html='<head></head><body>My HTML Layout</body>'
# prepare PDF to download:
pdf_file_name = 'evaluation.pdf'
Here is a list of some of the online tools we use to run Product7.
- Quickbooks Online – online accounting, timesheet reporting, invoicing, great reports
- Emyth – the process to build the processes – highly recommended
- Slicehost – the best hosting provider we’ve found for Ruby on Rails and Joomla – sadly it is going away eventually – replaced by Rackspace Cloud
- Google Apps – mail, calendar, phone calls
- Skype – video and chat conferences
- Unfuddle – the system we use to manage and plan large distributed software projects
- Google App Engine – our primary choice for back end server projects
- Web2Py – python based web application framework
- github – altnerative to subversion
- Spotify – millions of songs streaming for free online – stop what you’re doing and go get it now
- GoToMeeting – online conferencing over the web