One of the very nice new features of iOS 5 from Apple is that GameCenter will handle all of the mechanics and hosting for multiplayer turn based games. This creates an opportunity to build a very feature-rich multiplayer game without a lot of infrastructure costs.
Accordingly we’re going to design and develop a 3d turn based space combat game for the iPhone and iPad with realistic physics. The game will be ad-supported and free to download and play. We will release rapid iterations and add features as we go….
- Using iSGL3D for the 3d graphics.
- 4 gameplay modes – tutorial/training, hotseat (same device), peer to peer (wifi/bluetooth via gamekit), game center hosted
- Realistic Newtonian physics.
- Weapons include – gamma ray lasers, missiles, and kinetic launchers.
- Terrain – terran planets, moons, asteroid fields, ring systems, dust and debris clouds.
Working title for the game is Torchships.
If you’re interested in following our progress follow this blog (see the right hand pane of this page to sign up)
If you’d like to help beta-test Torchships then please sign up at our TestFlight page – you will need an iPad, iPhone, or next generation iTouch to participate.